Tuesday, February 12, 2013

"She's got Man-Arms!"


There's such a negative view on women having "buff" arms.

In fact, I was looking at a "Oxygen" (women's fitness) Magazine and my co-worker blurted out, 

My Co-Worker: "That's gross."  I look over to see what she's talking about.

My Co-worker: "Look at her arms.  She's got Man-Arms."

I look at the picture of the woman flexing in the picture. I shrug my shoulders and say:

Me: "Well, she's flexing.  She doesn't walk around like that all day...flexing."

I don't know why but I got annoyed by her comment.  Given, yes she had bigger/muscly arms than most women would have.  But I looked at the fitness model in a different way.  I looked up to her because I think of all the training she has gone through to look like that.  It takes a lot of time and GREAT dedication.  I think that it's fine however a woman wants to look, as long as THEY"RE HAPPY!

I think society has this "Typical" idea of what every woman should look like.  
And sad to say, WOMEN are the ones that support it most.

There is not a moment that goes by that women out there are trying to change something about themselves.  And I'm not saying I've never been a victim in this false idolatry.  
I wish I could easily escape it.  It's all around us.


Tina Fey said it best:

“Every girl is expected to have caucasian blue eyes, full Spanish lips, a classic button nose, hairless Asian skin with a California tan, a Jamaican dance hall ass, long Swedish legs, small Japanese feet, the abs of a lesbian gym owner, the hips of a nine-year-old boy, the arms of Michelle Obama and doll tits. This is why everyone is struggling.”

I've looked at my own arms and flexed, and I kind of scare myself sometimes.  I've got MUSCLES now.  Aren't I supposed to have delicate skinny arms???

Then I realize all the hard work and dedication that I've put in to getting those arms! And you know what?? 

There's no way I would take back my workouts.
Because of my workouts, I FEEL empowered as a woman! 
And my workouts make me feel great!

So yes, I don't judge women that may be more muscly then their own kind may be acceptable by but as long as their happy, BE HAPPY FOR THEM!


No comments:

Post a Comment