Saturday, February 2, 2013

"End-Date" Diets

Avoid any diet with an "end-date."  Instead of Dieting, adapt life-long changes!


I've tried out a new podcast called Balanced Bites.  It's a podcast strictly about Paleo.  

As I've said before, I'm not strictly paleo.  I mainly just  LOVE their idea of eating raw and natural foods.  So I wanted to learn more of their "take" on food.

The first podcast I listened to had to do with their "21-day Detox."
I was curious what steps they take to "get rid of" sugar in their diet.

But, the more I listened to it, the more I realized this is insane.
In terms of Carbs/Sugars, they can only eat certain fruits, 
no sugar substitutes (stevia, xylitol etc.) no gum, not even mint, no protein powders!

Also, I thought okay what is the point of this detox for 21 days.
What does it help? Does it really truly detox your body?
Doesn't your body need some sort of carbohydrates?

The more I listened to the podcast, the more I realized how stupid the idea is.
Plus, it didn't help that their attitudes were high-and-mighty about how "EASY" this detox is and people just need to do it and get over their complaining of no-sugar intake.  

One Listener, in particular, asked if their was a substitute for sugar to put in his coffee...
Their answer was "Man-Up and get over it."

Ummm...First of all it is DANG hard to go without no sugar at all in your diet! 

It sounds like a set-up for FAILURE to me!

So what happens on the 22nd day?
How do you go from NO sugar to eating normal again?

The hostess of the show even admitted to binging in sugar after her 21-day detox.
I already know that without trying, I would want to binge too!

In fact, I have binged when I would strongly restrict my sugar intake!
I literally GO CRAZY! It started with pizza, then a bowl of ice-cream, then those chocolates I was avoiding, then those peanut M&M's I've been eyeing, Ahhh and CHIPS! 

It was a nightmare! It never worked! Does this sound familiar to you?

My body needed carbs/sugars! I was just going about it all the wrong way.

Another reason why I wouldn't take part in this "21-day detox" is because I workout!
My body NEEDS Carbs after a workout, as long as I balance it out with some protein and healthy fats.

Sugar is necessary!
What isn't necessary, is the processed sugars.
That is where you need to keep it to a limit.

But there are so many types of non-processed sugars that you can still 
get your treat AND still feel good afterwards as well.


To add some sweetness, I personally love

L.R. Rice Raw & Unfiltered Honey
Stevia
Nectar Agave Syrup


I think after hearing this ridiculous "detox", I realized even MORE,

Diets that have an "end-date" shouldn't be bothered with!

In fact, I'm tired of the "detox" label.  I think it's a bunch of Boloney!   I think that adopting an everyday habit that is doable that helps your body function at a better level is better than ANY Diet ever invented.

Diets or healthy eating or whatever you want to call it should be a life-long goal.
Hence, you should make goals that are attainable, not insane like no sugar or no fats.
I've made goals before and realized, you know what?...This is not for me and I know it will NOT work for me.  

And that's all there is to it.  Everybody is different.
Do what is attainable to YOUR body!
Something that may be easy for me may not be easy for another.

Just listen to your body, Maybe even keep a journal and note how 
your body reacts (whether positive or negative) to certain foods so that you 
can make necessary changes.

So be SURE to watch out for those RED FLAGS 
when you're about to start a diet with an "end-date."

No comments:

Post a Comment