I just started getting into supplements about a year ago. It's been quite a journey because there's so many supplements out there. You can take recommendations from nutritionists and health gurus but in the end it's based on what works for you and if you've actually seen any differences after taking the supplements. So I think that some supplements are kind of ridiculous and a waste of money. I've found that I get the best results from getting my vitamins and minerals from the foods that I eat. Hence the reason why I start every day with a "glowing green smoothie." But I do believe that some supplements can definitely benefit you. The hard part is figuring out which ones actually work.
So I've cut down quite a bit on supplements because I wanted to test some out. After some trial and error, I've been able to cut it down to just these supplements:
- Magnesium- I take magnesium every night before I go to bed. It helps to get rid of all the "sludge" in your system. It helps with constipation and bloating. It also helps with stress and anxiety because it's helping your body to calm down. It helps me fall asleep at night. I take these, Aerobic Life Mag 07 (Recommended by Kimberly Snyder, author of The Beauty Detox Solution and The Beauty Detox Foods)
- Enzymes- I take enzymes with every meal to help break down the foods that I'm eating. Enzymes help relieve stress from the digestive system. It helps prevent bloating and constipation. I absolutely love it! I've noticed a huge difference with taking enzymes with every meal. I take these, Rainbow Light Advanced Enzyme System, (Recommended by Kimberly Snyder, author of The Beauty Detox Solution and The Beauty Detox Foods)
- Ox Bile- I take a bile supplement because I got my gallbladder removed back in 2009. I've noticed though (every now and then) I have a hard time digesting foods. So I started taking a bile supplement to give me a concentrated amount of bile to help break down my food. This way I'm not overworking my liver. I take these, Ox bile, (Recommended by Liz Wolf, author of Skintervention Guide)
- Spirulina (powder form, Superfood): considered a multivitamin- Vitamin B, C, D, E. It also has potassium, calcium, chromium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, sodium and zinc. It's incredibly high in calcium (26 times higher than milk). Can bind with heavy metals and help remove them. Can increase fat burning during exercise. Has a large amount of iron, protein and amino acids. It's my Miracle "Drug"! I take this, Hawaiian Spirulina Spacifica. Every morning, I add 1 tsp to my Glowing Green Smoothie.
- Maca Powder (powder form, Superfood)- It provides plenty of calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and amino acids. Relieves menstrual issues and menopause. Improves mood. Increases libido and helps boost energy. I take this, Navitas Naturals, Maca Powder. Every morning I add 1/2 tsp to my Glowing Green Smoothie.
- L-Glutamine- Every now and then I'll take a couple spoonfuls of L-glutamine in a glass of water to help with sugar cravings. It helps balance blood sugar levels. It also helps with gastrointestinal issues and metabolism. I take this, MRM L-Glutamine 500.