Friday, April 26, 2013

Should You Buy Organic Foods?

I have battled with this idea of "Organic" food for a while now.  I find it very confusing that most nutritionists/ Health guru's are stressing the importance of purchasing only organic fruits, vegetables, meats etc. BECAUSE I never had organic foods in my diet growing up.  So why all of a sudden are we hearing that we must eat only organic foods now???  I get the whole "getting toxins out of you" benefit of eating organic foods BUT they still spray "organic" foods with FDA approved sprays.  You could go deeper and deeper into TOXINS and how everything is DANGEROUS to your health.  I tried to play that game and I found myself getting more and more frustrated and I started to FEAR everything.  I started to only buying organic foods because I FEARED "TOXINS" in my food.  This FEAR became a little obsessive and even became stressful, so I took a step back and evaluated the changes I had made with buying more organic foods.  Knowing what I know about avoiding less toxins I told myself that I wouldn't FEAR everything around me but that I would just DO MY BEST with the money I have.  So instead of trying to do everything all at once, I only buy a couple organic foods every now and again.  Here are my favorites:

1. ORGANIC Spinach: I feel that I'm getting tons of vitamins with my spinach salads and I also put it in my smoothies.  I can buy a huge package of this and it lasts for a while.  Or if it starts to wilt, I like to freeze it and then just use it for smoothies, soups etc.
2.  Organic Red Cabbage: Red cabbage is very affordable, It lasts for weeks in my fridge. I love adding cabbage to my salads to add color and crunch!
3.  Organic Granny Smith Apples*:  I buy my apples in bulk at Costco and they're delicious! Great source of fiber and low sugar.
4.  Frozen Organic Berries*:  I buy a huge bag at Costco as well, cherries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries! Great for antioxidants
5.  Organic Garlic: this is very affordable and it lasts a long time.  Garlic has many benefits- Antioxidant, antibiotic, aphrodisiac :)
6.  Organic Eggs:  This is a new one for me.  I was listening to a podcast about how eggs are basically like poison, they have tons of hormones and antibiotics.  This has been a personal choice for me because I really don't want additional hormones messing with my system.  Also, I eat eggs every day.  If I was eating eggs maybe a couples times a month, maybe this wouldn't be a big deal to me but I eat them all the time so I didn't want to chance buying super cheap eggs without exactly knowing what the hormones and antibiotics may be doing to my system.  Plus you can find organic eggs on sale all the time.  You just need to look around.
7.  Organic Cinnamon-  I bought mine at a local health food store.  I was surprised how cheap it was, less than $3.  I thought why not?!?  The benefits of cinnamon are astounding-regulates blood sugar, contains fiber, calcium, iron, manganese, balances hormones etc.  I wanted a pure source of this amazing spice :)
8.  Organic Sauerkraut-  I love sauerkraut   You can buy a large jar for around $3.  I love the benefits of Sauerkraut because it's a natural probiotic to help heal the gut.

* I don't always buy Organic

So instead of buying organic foods just to buy organic foods I look at the benefits of foods and I evaluate which ones are most important to me so I can get the best source of that benefit!  Cost is important too.  If certain organic products are just not in my budget then I don't add them to my grocery list.  I do what I can and that's all that matters.  I feel more at peace with at least making an effort.  Organic foods have lots of great sales and I just try to be on the outlook for them!  And really it's doable.  Quality food really matters to me!  So I try to make sacrifices in other areas to purchase quality food.

So all in all, is organic food an absolute must?? I would say no.  BUT I've made the choice to make an effort to have some organic foods available to me so I can reap the full benefits from some ROCKSTAR foods!

No comments:

Post a Comment