Thursday, March 14, 2013

Make Your Own Standing Desk


A lot of times I like to come home after work, do my workout and then VEG on the couch the rest of the night.  I know this is not good for my body to be sitting for so long after my work out.  Plus I'm hearing more and more that no matter if you workout, sitting can still be detrimental to one's health.

For example, "Researchers at the American Cancer Society found that even if you exercise nearly every day, those health benefits can be undone if you spend the rest of your time on your keister." 

Here are my top reasons to STAND rather than SIT:

1. Alleviates back pain
2.  Better sleep, creates more fatigue
3.  Crawling into bed is more rewarding, because I've been standing most of the day/night
4.  Tones legs, butt and back
5.  I can ACTIVELY watch TV- what's better than that? Don't have to feel bad about "Vegging" in front of the TV anymore.

I'm usually using my laptop when I am trying to stand more.  I normally use the back of our couch BUT I was looking at my husband's THE RACK he bought a couple years ago.  Have you heard of it?  He uses it for his workouts- pushups, dips, lifting etc.  ANYWAY, a BIG LIGHTBULB went off that I could use it as a desk.  I just needed to find a box to set on top that was wide enough.  Hence, the Griddle box :).  It is the perfect standing desk!  I'm so excited to use this throughout the week.  Plus I can position it anywhere I want which right now is close to the fire cuz it is COLD!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see this article on a standing desk. I use two separate ones: one for work and the other at home. The one at work is a small, simple, and inexpensive ($20) computer desk that I bought at WalMart and that stands on top of a small wooden table to bring it up to the correct height. The one at home is a Quik Lok laptop holder ($39). Here's a link for it: http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=500&sName=LPH-001
    This is usually used by musicians on stage to hold a laptop, but it's very portable, adjustable, sturdy, and relatively inexpensive. I also use a wireless mouse on the side of my right leg to surf the internet. It works very well for me. I hope this information is helpful to everyone. Those of us who sit the most will tend to live the shortest lives! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete