Saturday, January 26, 2013

Supplements To Help Mood

You can find the first three (Omega-3, Vitex and Magnesium) at any health food store.
I found Meta-ignite at a local GNC store.

As you know, one of my new favorite Podcasts to listen to is Dishing Up Nutrition. One of their podcasts talked about which supplements can boost your mood.  

I never thought of turning to supplements to help me out in that area.
So immediately I was fascinated.  I deal with anxiety and depression.
It's not always present.  And I never know when it's going to come.  As no one does.

I find that either my anxiety or depression occurs most often when I'm not getting enough sleep.  I also know that it can also be food related.  Which I've tried to eliminate as much as I can with clean eating.
I've also wondered if it's the birth control that I'm on as well.  I have no idea what it's doing to my hormones.  

So in order to help me out in this area, I thought I might follow some of their supplement suggestions.

Here are the supplements that are suggested to boost/calm your mood:

1.  Magnesium- "the relaxation mineral"-Anything that is tight, irritable, crampy, and stiff -- whether it is a body part or an even a mood -- is a sign of magnesium deficiency, such as inflammation, constipation,  PMS, anxiety, Insomnia, muscle cramps, chronic fatigue, headaches etc.  
Interesting Fact: intense cravings for chocolate is a sign for Magnesium deficiency.

2.  Vitex- remedy for range of female conditions- balances out hormones, helps with acne, PMS 

3.  Omega-3 Fish Oil- supports proper brain function and healthy mood- It also contributes to better focus, memory, and encourages communication between cells. 

4.  GenetixHD Meta-Ignite- strictly for energy-can take up to 3 pills.  I only take 1 per day mainly on work days to help me wake up for the day.  This is not the most natural supplement, but it was the closest to natural energy pill that was suggested to me.  I don't drink caffeine so first time I took it I felt a little jittery before lunch because my body needed some fuel.  That only happened the first couple of days.  Since then I haven't had any side effects or problems.  Especially since I'm only taking 1 per day,  right in the morning.

I have found a huge improvement with all of these supplements that I do currently take.  Especially with Meta-ignite energy pill.  That has saved my life.  I'm a very light sleeper and therefore I don't always get the best sleep.  So it gives me a nice BOOST to get me out of my sleepy/bad mood funk!

How much SLEEP I get effects everything for me.  It effects my cravings and especially my mood.  When you're sleepy, your brain is low on glucose, hence the reason why you have crazy cravings is when you're lacking sleep and stressed out.  

So lately when I'm craving sugar, really my body is just telling me I need more sleep. Sleep produces more glucose for the brain. Fascinating huh?  I thought there was something wrong with me when I craved sweets every night.  But really I just needed some Z's.

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love this information!!! This is so awesome! I can see how this blog will be a tremendous help and support to me as I deal with my health issues, because all that you talk about is exactly what I need to be doing. Thank you so much, Laura! This is your field! This is you! Love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope to talk about all kinds of things that have helped me along the way! And you have helped me too! Don't forget that..MWah!

      Delete